Sunday, July 14, 2013

DIY Terrarium

I've had an obsession with terrariums for quite a while now. However, if you buy them pre-made they are terribly expensive. I am lusting after Anthropologie's terrarium. I've also seen quite a few succulent terrariums at Pike Nurseries, but again, very expensive. They even have smaller ones at Whole Foods and at my masseuse parlor, Sweetgrass.

Anyway, I set off to make my own. I went to Target to gather my materials and bought my plants from Pike Nurseries. I bought 4 plants. None were succulents. Actually, they were just called minis. They ranged between $2 and $3 dollars each -- even the large yellow flower.

Next I hit Target. I bought a large vase. It was about $15. They had a variety of shapes and sizes to choose from. You could be as creative or as bland as your chose. I also got suckered into buying sand and sea glass. I just couldn't resist the fun color combo. We already had potting soil, so I used that and some rocks and shells that we'd collected from our stint in Virginia Beach. Now it was time to start layering.

When you layer, you need to make sure all the "pretty stuff" is pushed up against the sides. You can fill the middle with dirt, because no one will see it.   It's important that you have enough of each layer because some of the layers will naturally blend together. I would err on the side of too much than too little.

Finally, put in the potting soil and plant your terrarium. Make sure you follow the directions from the nursery and give your new terrarium the required amount of sunlight. Since it's supported to be an indoor fixture, I'd go with plants that need little and indirect sunlight.

My total cost for the project was about $35. That's half of the cost of the terrarium shell from Anthropologie! If you have the time to run to a thrift store, you could probably get a vase for even cheaper. Look around your house or yard for items to use to layer.

This was such a fun project, and really helps liven up  our condo. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Lamar




No comments:

Post a Comment