Sunday, July 7, 2013

Biking in Atlanta

I have not always been the biggest health nut. Okay, maybe the anesthetist of the biggest health nut. I enjoy dining out. I enjoy wine. However, in Atlanta, working out is unavoidable. Everywhere you do people are running, dog walking, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, biking, climbing. You name it, they do it.   I initially kicked off my exercise regimen with Zumba!. It was great, but the 5:30 am mornings got old quickly. The package (we bought the DVD kit available at Bed, Bath and Beyond) included Zumba! sticks and a meal plan. The meals were great. Filling and a different pace for us. However, we still weren't getting to enjoy Atlanta. Thus spurred the purchase of a hybrid bike.

Our first stop was Atlanta Cycling. They carry a bike brand called Trek. I was familiar with this brand because as a child, my "big girl" bike was a Jazz Cherry Bomb by Trek. Always a deal seeker I was bummed when the entry level bike cost $600 and the saleswoman was unable to budge. My plan was to buy a bike, a Saris Bones 2 bike car rack, biking glasses, water bottle holder and a kickstand. The total put us at $825. I wasn't ready to commit. The store was unable to even give us the slightest discount or throw in the kickstand or bottle holder for free. The saleswoman was wonderfully knowledgeable, but not empowered enough to bargain with us. She offered to bring a water bottle holder from home if we made the purchase. We liked her and the bike, but ultimately walked to shop around a bit more.

The next day, we visited another bike store in Little 5 Points called Outback Bikes. The store was staffed with granola employees. They were hippies who knew their stuff.  Outback features Specialized bikes. For the longest time, I didn't realize that was the brand name and kept wondering what it was that was specialized about the bikes. The bike started at $50 less than the Trek. Plus it was pink and black. Very chic. The salesman knocked another 10% off the bike immediately, plus 15% off the bike rack and threw in a kickstand for free. I later ended up removing the water bottle holder from one of my old bikes for my new bike. The total for everything was roughly $600. Sold. The Specialized Vita was mine.

I did a little reach about the Trek and Specialized brands. This is what I came up with: It's the difference between a Toyota Camery and a Honda Accord. It really just boils down to personal preference.


J was pleased with this store as well. He rides a Specialized Rockhopper. It's nice to be able to service both our bikes in the same place. His bike is a mountain bike and mine is a hybrid, but we haven't had any issues keeping up with each other yet. I just don't do the same off roading he does. He also does better with the traction going up hill than I do with my skinny hybrid tires. My bike though, it perfect for my needs. I am able to carry if up and down the 3 flights of stairs to our apartment without issue. I an also lift it onto the bike rack on the back of the car. 

Our newest adventure has been exploring the Path Foundation bike paths. It's a great way to see Atlanta. You'd never imagine how much greenery there is in the middle of our vast city.

We have fun exploring and talking about the new trails we find. We have definitely developed some good and bad recommendations. I am still working up the muscles to go up large hills, but the point is that you try and it gets easier as you practice and build muscle. Our further ride has been just over 5 miles. This is such a challenge for me. Being from Savannah, I am used to flat paths rather than the rolling hills of Atlanta. Needless to say, my beach cruiser (that was perfectly suited for Virginia Beach) is now for sale. 

Stay tuned for more posts about our biking adventures. Which paths to take, and which to skip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment