Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mermaid Winery, Norfolk, VA

I heard about the Mermaid Winery by chance. My beau's sister was hosting an event there and helping with the marketing. Norfolk had it's own urban winery. I couldn't be more delighted. Now I just needed a victim to drag along. My parents came in town and brought my sister. Bingo. Elise volunteered to join me in Norfolk after our visit to the Chrysler museum on Sunday afternoon.

I was delighted to find a wine flight and a cheese pairings -- one for white wine, one for red. As we tasted our five 1oz pours and munched on fruit and cheese, I took in the surroundings. There was a fabulous outdoor area for some of the cooler summer evenings. Inside was large with an industrial flare. Elise and I sat at the bar. Everything was so open, I could even see into the kitchen. Unlike most winery,  you had to pay for your tastings here, which was fine. I really didn't expect anything less from Ghent.

I will be back to this venue. I love a good wine bar and this combines a winery with a wine bar in some sense of the world. I'd like to find out more about their wine club as well. At $45 to $75 a month for a few bottles of wine, I wasn't sold yet. It would have to rival my go to party wine, Generation Green. I encourage you stop by and give it a whirl. The food is just as good as the wine!



No comments:

Post a Comment