Tuesday, July 24, 2012

From Trash to Treasure

My roommates and I have a witty relationship with our landlord. We like to pick on each other and have fun. When I came home on Saturday, Tim was cleaning out the shed behind our house. Finally! I thought. . . I could move my bike from the entrance into the shed. He had a ton of junk pulled out of the shed and was just dumping it into the trash. Among all the trash was a beat up old desk.



When Tim told me he was going to trash this, I asked if I could have it. He looked at me like I was crazy. but agreed. The desk, as pictured, was extremely beat up, had tons of spider webs on it and truly looked like trash. But I saw a vision. Plus J has such a rinky little cheap looking desk in his room, I thought this might be perfect. I went out and bought primer, eggshell colored spray paint, and a finish. I had a nautical theme in mind. I envisioned a ropey looking handle and navy and white striped contact paper. The inspiration for the pulls came directly from Anthropologie. However at $14 a pop, I opted to make my own pulls. I purchased twine for about $3 and 9 pulls off an online site for under $3 each. The spray paint was roughly $4 per can. I've already gone through 1 can of primer (I actually needed 2), 6 cans of eggshell and purchased 4 more cans, plus 2 cans of finisher. Oh, and a sandpaper block, which was about $4 too. This puts me at about $96 for the project.


I made J do all the sanding and I taped the drawers and applied the primer. Primer made all the difference. The places where I didn't prime the paint didn't stick so well. . .

Right now it's still a work in progress. I'm waiting for the handles to come in so I can work on applying the twine and the desk needs another coat of paint. Stay tuned for more pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment