Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pink Mint

Every little girls wants a pretty pink bike. And while this girl is 27, she still knows she wants a pink bike. The search for the perfect bike took a while. Originally I had my heart set on a teal and white Huffy from Wal-mart for the nice prices of $88. I went to 3 stores. The bike was a limited edition and the floor models were constantly banged up. You can still check out the Huffy Ladies' Cranbrook on the site. Since the bikes were so beat up in the store, I decided to order one online and pick it up at the store. A representative that worked in the bike department told me even though the website said they store wouldn't assemble my bike, they would if the tech were there.

Well, I never got this far. Somewhere along the way, Wal-mart lost my bike from the warehouse to the store. I emailed them and asked what happened, but never got a reply, just suddenly had my credit card refunded. I was a little bummed because I'd gone through UPromise and earned extra money in my Upromise account for this purchase. I cursed Wal-mart and their bad customer service. What had happened if I'd never pursued the issue? But secretly wished the bike had arrived and debated upon ordering one again. The price was just too good to beat.

Instead, I decided to support local. I found a pink Mintcraft at the Hardware store down off 17th street at the Oceanfront. The bike cost me about $139, plus accessories. No beach cruiser is complete without a Krusie (get it? Cruiser + Koosie) or bell to warn pedestrians and other people prone to getting in your way.

The only thing that threw me off was the bike title and warranty. Who gets a warranty for a bike? I have jewelry worth more that I don't even insure. The Hardware store instructed me to register my bike with the police department and put a "secret message" in the seat of the bike that only I know in case it was stolen. I'm sitting here thinking, well, the crooks are filing off the registration number on the bike and popping the seat off already to see if anything's inside.
Any tips on what you would do? I've been leaving my bike inside for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment